|Heraldry of the World |
Heraldiek van de wereld
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
Van zilver met een rechterschuinbalk van azuur - het schild geplaatst op een distel van sinopel, gebloemd van purper en gehouden door twee griffioenen van goud.
The arms were officially granted on November 21, 1960.
The arms are based on the arms of the Vrije van Brugge (Brugse Vrije, the Freedom of Brugge), a region to which the municipality belonged (see also Kerken or Groede). The original arms of the Vrije are known since 1418, with two lions as supporters. The griffins only appear as supporters in the 16th century. Later also savages appear as asupporters.
The village of Stene was already part of the Vrije in the 13th century. Stene was never a separate estate (heerlijkheid), but on the area of the municipality a smaller estate, the Sinte Catharina estate with the Blauw Kasteel castle.
When the municipality applied for arms in 1959 the first proposal showed the arms of the Dukes of Kleve, a golden escarbucle on red. This due to the fact that the church of Kleve was placed under the patronage of Adolf IV of Kleve, who owned and often lived in the nearby Wijnendale castle. As the Dukes never owned or ruled the village, the proposal was rejected.
A second proposal was to use the arms of (one of) the Lords of Sinte Catharina, but this was also rejected as that estate was only a small part of the municipality, and there have been at least 5 families that owned the estate.
Finally it was decided to use the historical arms of the Vrije instead.
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Heraldry of the World is a private site and maintained as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please support the site:
Literature : Servais, 1968