|German||Gespalten durch einen von Silber und Blau gespaltenen gesenkten Anker von Rot und Gold; vorne ein silberner Rundturm mit Spitzdach und Erker und einer zum Schildrand durchgehenden silbernen Zinnenmauer; hinten eine aufrechte, rot bewehrte schwarze Bärentatze.|
The oldest known seal of the town dates from the 15th century and already shows the combination of a tower and the bear's claw. The town was ruled by the Counts of Hoya, whose arms were a bear's claw. The counts built a large fortress in the town and had one of their residencies since 1525. The castle symbolises the fortress. The anchor was added in 1930 when the arms were officially granted, and symbolise the importance of shipping on the Weser river.
As none of the municipalities incorporated into Stolzenau in 1974 used arms, the old arms were continued for the new town.
In the Kaffee Hag albums of the early 20th century the arms were shown in different colours and without the anchor, see below.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Ziegler, 1986; Kaffee Hag picture albums, 1920s.