Incorporated into: 1974 Birmingham
Arms : Argent on a Cross Sable a Stag's Head couped between four Doves of the field in the first quarter a Mitre proper on a Chief Vert two Stags courant Or.
Crest : Issuant from a Mural Crown Or a demi Stag proper supporting between the legs two Keys wards upwards and outwards in saltire Gold and a Sword erect proper banded with a Riband Gules; Mantled Gules doubled Or.
Supporters : On the dexter side a Greyhound Or gorged with a Mural Crown Gules and on the sinister side a Dragon Gules gorged with a like Crown Or pendent from each by a Chain Gold an Escutcheon Argent thereon a Rose Gules charged with another Argent barbed and seeded proper.
The arms were officially granted on May 15, 1935.
The arms are based on those of Bishop Vesey, a benefactor to the town. The shield also contains his mitre and the stags refer to Sutton Park.
The mural crown represents civic authority and the keys and sword, for SS Peter and Paul, as from the See of Exeter.
The greyhound and dragon are the supporters of the Tudors, duly differenced, in allusion to the town's charter from Henry VIII.
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !