|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) In Rot ein silberner Topfhelm, dessen silberne Helmbänder in je zwei silbernen Rosetten auslaufen, darüber als Kleinod ein siebenspeichiges silbernes Rad.
The village of Tauberbischofsheim became a possession of the bishops of Mainz in 1237 and the bishops were landlords until 1802. The village became a city in 1280 and the first seals, dating from the late 13th century, already show the same arms. The arms show the wheel of the State of Mainz and a helmet, which probably symbolises the strength of the town. The seals did not change until the late 18th century, when the helmet was replaced by a mitre. In 1865 a cross and stick were added beside the mitre. The present arms were granted in 1961 and go back to the old seal. The colours are the colours of Mainz.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.