|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
The Burgh never had arms, but used a seal as shown below.
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
In 1871 the Lindsay Act was adopted, and under the Burgh Police Act of 1892 a Common Seal was designed as follows. In the centre is a shield divided into four. The first quarter bears a sheep, or hanging fleece, symbolic of the woollen manufactures which are the principal industries of the town. The second quarter bears a spread eagle, which is part of the Wardlaw Ramsay arms, Colonel Ramsay being the proprietor of Tillicoultry Estate, and superior of the Burgh. The third quarter bears three crescents, part of the Paton arms, and the fourth quarter bears the arms of those of the name of Archibald thus described by Nisbet. Paton and Archibald being the two largest employers in the Burgh at the time (both in the textile industries).
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink