Transvaal Colony

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

The Transvaal colony was created in 1902 when the British annexed the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek (ZAR). The new colony did not have its own arms, but on the new official seal the wagon and lion from the republican arms were added. The colony existed until 1910 when it became the province of Transvaal in the new South African Republic.

The new province was granted arms on 4 May 1911.

The arms showed in a green field a silver wagon. The wagon shown on these arms was the same as used on the seal from 1902. The wagon, however, was of a type never used by the Boers in the 1830s. This wagon also found its way in the later arms of the South African Republic and was never corrected.


Follow us on
 

 
Contact us
Support the site:

Click on the image to see how to support the site !

Literature : Brownell, 1993