|Heraldry of the World |
|Polish heraldry portal|
Herbarz Miast Polskich
The arms show St. Margaret, the patron saint of the city. The saint already appears on the 14 and 15th century seals of the city, often standing on a dragon. On a 15th century seal the saint also holds a small bird in her left hand. The present arms are based on this seals. Most of the later seals and arms, dating from the 17th century onwards, all show the saint on a dragon.
In an overview of Polish arms from 1963, the arms were still shown with the dragon, but in the present colours.
The arms as used in the 19th century
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1915
The arms as shown in 1994
Literature : Plewako and Wanag, 1994