|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on October 17, 1935.
The arms show the bar taken from the arms of the Counts of the Mark, and the cross of the State and Bishops of Köln, who both ruled the area in the historical times. The upper half shows a hunter, which refers to the hunting rights obtained in 1525 by the villagers of Valbert. The village at the time was a border village between the Mark and Köln and the villagers defended their homes against the Archbishops of Köln. In gratitude the the Count of the Mark granted the hunting rights.
Literature : Belke et al., 1986; Meyer, 1940