|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms are based on the oldest seal of the city, known since 1351, but dating from the early 14th century. The tower symbolises the fortified city of Vechta, which had received city rights in the first half of the 13th century.
The head in the base of the shield symbolises most likely St. Paul, patron saint of the State of Münster, to which the city belonged form 1252-1803.
As the colours were not officially determined and many variations were used, it was decided in 1934 to use red and gold for Münster and red, gold and blue for Oldenburg. In 1803 the city had become part of the State of Oldenburg. In 1955 the arms were confirmed.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.