|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) In Silber ein roter Sparren, darunter ein freischwebender roter Schragen.
The arms were granted on June 19, 1939 and again on December 17, 1973.
The chevron is derived from the arms of the Counts of Ravensberg, who ruled the area for many centuries. The cross was added as a local symbol, based on a cross on a stone in the center of the town.
Before 1939 the city used the complete arms of Ravensberg, with the three chevrons. These chevrons also appear in the arms of the Halle district. These arms were supposedly granted in 1719 when King Friedrich Wilhelm granted the city rights to Versmold.
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.