|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on February 13, 1957.
The panther is derived from the arms of the Counts of Kraiburg and Ortenburg, and symbolises the influence of the counts in the district. In 1206 they founded the city of Vilshofen. In the 13th and 14th century most of their possessions were acquired by the Wittelsbach family, Dukes of Bayern. Their arms are shown in the upper left quarter.
The lower left quarter shows the arms of the Counts of Hals, who, until the 14th century, ruled the area around Osterhofen. The panther stands on a small hill, derived from the arms of the Niederalteich Abbey, and symbolises the possessions of the many monasteries in the area.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.