Country : Belgium
|D'argent à la crois de gueules vidée & recercelée acoompagnée de quatre canettes de sable
The arms were granted on June 27, 1846.
The arms show a cross, derived from the cross of the Knights Templar, and four finches. The finches are a canting symbol for the Vincx Ambacht (Vink=finch). The Vincx Ambacht was a part of the Vrije van Brugge, a large territory surrounding the city of Brugge, but not belonging to the city (Vrije van Brugge means Freedom-of-Brugge). The area was for a long time in the Middle Ages a possession of the Knights Templar.
Several municipalities in the former Vincx Ambacht use similar arms, which differ only in the number of finches. The different arms were already mentioned on the map made of the Vrije van Brugge by Pourbus in 1562.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site