Walcourt

From Heraldry of the World
Revision as of 14:07, 5 April 2015 by Knorrepoes (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Heraldiek van de wereld
Armorial du Monde
Belgium.jpg
Belgian heraldry portal
Belgische wapens
Armorial de Belgique
Belgium-flag.jpg

WALCOURT

Province : Namur
Additions : 1977 Berzée, Castillon, Chastrès, Clermont, Fontenelle, Fraire, Gourdinne, Laneffe, Pry, Rognée, Somzée, Tarcienne, Thy-le-Château, Vogenée, Yves-Gomezée

Walcourt.jpg

Official blazon

  • (1874) D'azur, à une ville close d'argent, ajourée et maçonnée de sable; au canton senestre d'or, à l'aigle éployée à dextre, de gueules, becquée et membrée d'azur.
  • (1980) D'argent à l'aigle de gueules, languée et membrée d'azur au vol abaissé.

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on December 14, 1874. New arms were adopted on September 9, 1980.

The arms are based on the oldest seals of the city, dating from the 16th century. The seal showed a castle and in the upper left corner the arms of Namur. The town at the time was a possession of the Counts of Namur. In the 16th century the town was acquired by Emperor Charles V, and the lion was replaced by the imperial eagle (black on gold). In 1874 the old composition was retained, but the imperial eagle was replaced by the eagle of the Lords of Walcourt, the oldest lords of the town (see also Rochefort).

Walcourt.hagbe.jpg

The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930

Currently the municipality, however, uses different arms :

Walcourt1.jpg

Follow us on
Facebook.jpg Instagram.png
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
Mail.png
Contact us
Heraldry of the World is a private site,
all paid for by 1 person and
maintained by 3 persons as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please, support the site:

Donate.jpg




Ebay.png
eBay shop
Payhip.jpg
Download shop

Literature : Servais, 1955