|Heraldry of the World |
Heraldiek van de wereld
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
- (1874) D'azur, à une ville close d'argent, ajourée et maçonnée de sable; au canton senestre d'or, à l'aigle éployée à dextre, de gueules, becquée et membrée d'azur.
- (1980) D'argent à l'aigle de gueules, languée et membrée d'azur au vol abaissé.
The arms were granted on December 14, 1874. New arms were adopted on September 9, 1980.
The arms are based on the oldest seals of the city, dating from the 16th century. The seal showed a castle and in the upper left corner the arms of Namur. The town at the time was a possession of the Counts of Namur. In the 16th century the town was acquired by Emperor Charles V, and the lion was replaced by the imperial eagle (black on gold). In 1874 the old composition was retained, but the imperial eagle was replaced by the eagle of the Lords of Walcourt, the oldest lords of the town (see also Rochefort).
The 1874 arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Currently the municipality, however, uses different arms (image 2015) :
The arms on a police badge (source)
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Heraldry of the World is a private site,
all paid for by 1 person and
maintained by 3 persons as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please, support the site:
Literature : Servais, 1955