|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
Urban district (Kreisfreie Stadt) until 1975
Additions : 1926 Eppendorf, Günnigfeld, Höntrop, Munscheid, Sevinghausen, Westenfeld, Westfälisch Leithe
Incorporated into 1975 Bochum
The arms of Wattenscheid were granted on August 21, 1937.
The arms are based on the oldest seal of the city. The oldest seal dates from 1417 and shows the patron saint, St. Gertrudis (Gertraud), holding in her right hand a shield with the present arms. The arms show the escarbuncle of the County of Kleve, and the chequered bar of the County Mark. The area belonged to Kleve until 1332, when it became part of the Mark. Ever since the seals of the city used this composition. When the arms were officially granted the saint was removed. The local council at the time applied for the use of the supporter, but the State Archives rejected this and finally the city agreed to use only the small shield as arms.
Seal from around 1900
The arms with the supporter (Rühl, 1940)
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925