|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on April 3, 1957.
The wolf in the right half is the wolf of the city and State of Passau, as the bishops of Passau ruled most of the district until 1803. The left half shows the arms of Austria, as the area around Rannariedl for many centuries belonged to Austria. The lower part of the shield shows a melting bowl. In the area graphite mining has been of importance and one of the typical products of the area were the melting bowls made of graphite.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.