|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into : 1965 Brent
Arms: Vert two Seaxes in saltire points upward enfiled through a Saxon Crown Or.
Crest: Issuant from a Saxon Crown Or a Mount Vert thereon a Lion statant guardant Gold; Mantled Vert doubled Or.
Supporters: On either side a Lion guardant Or supporting a Staff Gules flying therefrom a Banner Vert that to the dexter charged with a Pair of Scales and that to the sinister with a Cornucopia replenished Or.
Motto: 'TEMPORI PARENDUM' - We must move with the times. |- |English | blazon wanted |}
The arms were granted on January 25, 1938.
The green shield sybolises the open spaces of the Borough, and the crown and seaxes, from the arms of the Middlesex CC, refer to the Saxon origins of the district.
The lions recall John Lyon, founder of Harrow Scool, whose home was at Preston Manor, Wembley. He established a trust, of which the Borough became beneficiary, for the maintenance of Harrow Road and Edgware Road, parts of which are within the Borough boundaries. The balance refers to the Hundred Moot of Gore, and the cornucopia symbolises prosperity.
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature : Scott-Giles, 1953