|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were officilly grantes in 1948.
The arms are derived from the oldest known seal of the city, known since 1442, in which the lion and the wall-anchor were seen separately.
The lion is derived from the arms of the Lords of the Leck, who founded in 1300 the village around one of their castles. The lion was first used on a seal from Folpert van der Leck in 1233. The wall-anchor is derived from the Lords van Culemborg (see also the city of Culemborg in the Netherlands), who acquired the estate of Werth in 1344. They were descendants of the Lords of the Leck (see Berkenwoude).
The arms were first were granted in 1840, but in these arms the lion was holding the anchor, see below. As this was not consistent with the old seals, the arms were restored in 1948.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.