Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on October 20, 1819 and confirmed on November 16, 1842, and with a mural crown on May 7, 1985.
The arms are already seen on the oldest seal of the city, dating from the late 15th century. The arms are also used by the Lords of Wervy in the 16th century. The family were Lords of the Manor of Wervik since the early 15th century and it is thus likely that the arms of the city are derived from the arms of the family.
All later seals and images have shown the same shield, but during the centuries different supporters have been used, such as a saint of bishop behind the shield, of two roosters.
Wervik was split between Belgium and France in the 18th century, the French part being renamed to Wervicq-Sud, which uses the same arms.
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site