West Dunbartonshire

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 6,334
  • Total images in the British section : 5,573

WEST DUNBARTONSHIRE (Area Council)

Additions : 1996 Clydebank (District), Dunbarton (District)

Arms of West Dunbartonshire

Official blazon

Argent, on a saltire Gules cantoned between in chief a cogwheel Sable, in base on a point double-arched Azure a three-funnelled liner affrontee Proper, in the dexter flank the demi-figure of Saint Patrick Proper, and in the sinister flank an elephant statant Proper tusked Or, charged on the forehead with a crescent Gules and bearing on his back a tower Proper, a dove volant bendways Argent.

Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Area Council videlicet:- issuant from a circlet eight paling piles (three and two halves visible) Or and eight garbs (four visible) of the Last, banded Sable, and in a Escrol below the same this Motto "Strength Through Community".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on October 23, 1998.

The arms granted to the council combine features from Clydebank and Dunbarton District Council. The elephant with a tower on its back is taken from Dunbarton District Council. It is a device which appeared on an ancient burgh seal of which a 1357 impression is on record. The elephant has been blazoned "statant" and not "passant" (as it was rather inaccurately) in the burgh arms and its forehead bears a red crescent for difference, thus indicating that it is "a second happening". It is said to have been chosen originally because in shape it was thought to resemble Dumbarton Rock; the tower on its back is for Dunbarton Castle.

The red saltire on the silver field is taken from Clydebank District Council's arms. It symbolises Lennox, the province in which the District lies. The dove represents the dove of peace. Also appearing on the crest, the demi-figure of St Patrick refers to Old Kilpatrick, a burgh of barony from 1672, and where the saint is reputed to have been born. The cog-wheel symbolises all of the local industries. A three funnelled liner represents Clyde shipbuilding.

The motto is "Strength through Community".


Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink

Literature :Urquhart, 2001