|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) In gespaltenem Schild vorne in Schwarz ein rot bewehrter und rot bezungter goldener Löwe, hinten von Blau und Silber schräggerautet.
Wiesloch already received town rights in 965 and city rights in the early 13th century. Around 1230 the city became a possession of the Wittelsbach family, as Princes of the Pfalz (Palatinate). For the next centuries different branches of this dynasty ruled the city.
The oldest seal dates from the early 14th century and shows only a shield with the lion of the Pfalz. In the 15th century the diamonds of the Wittelsbach family were added. These arms were identical to the present arms, which were officially granted in 1898.
The 15th century seal of Wiesloch
From 1842-1866 the city used in its seals only a capital letter S, but not in its arms.
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; John and Wüst, 1996.