|Heraldry of the World|
|Luxembourg heraldry portal|
Héraldique de Luxembourg
The first arms of Wiltz were granted on February 26, 1823. The second arms were granted on August 1st, 1951.
The arms simply show three symbols of industry, agriculture and commerce as well as the lion of Luxembourg, indicating that the city was part of the Grand-Duchy.
The arms were granted initially according to the wishes of the city. even though the colours of the arms were not according to the heraldic rule of tincture (black on red). This is the main reason for the change of the arms in 1951, The other change is that the arms of Luxembourg were placed in the first quarter, the most important quarter.
In many other arms of communities in Luxembourg, the arms of the Lords (later Barons) of Wiltz are used. These are gold with a red chief (see f.e.Wilwerwiltz, Stadtbredimus and others). These arms have never been used as arms of the city of Wiltz.
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a monument in Luxembourg city (2010)
The arms on a Dutch Willem II cigar bond
Literature : Loutsch, J-C. et al.; Armorial communal du Grand-Duché de Luxembourg, Fisch, Luxembourg, 1989, 331 p.