|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on February 28, 1939 and again on December 15, 1994.
The arms show in the first quarter the two swords of the rank of Fieldmarshall of the Holy Roman Empire. The counts of Saxony were appointed Fieldmarshalls and added the swords in their arms. The county Wittenberg is the old center of the Principality of Saxony.
Literature : Papendieck, H. : Die Wappen der Landkreise und kreisfreien Städte des Landes Sachsen-Anhalt. Landesarchiv Magdeburg, 1996.