|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
District (Kreis) : Mecklenburgische Seenplatte (until 2010 Mecklenburg-Strelitz)
Additions : 1999 Bredenfelde, Grauenhagen, Hinrichshagen, Rehberg; 2002 Göhren; 2014 Helpt
The arms show the eagle of Brandenburg and two canting oak branches. The name is derived from Waldeck or Waldeich, either wood-corner or wood-oak. Woldegk was founded around 1250 as a village and castle by the Margraves of Brandenburg to protect their lands. In 1298 it was mentioned as a city. In 1300 the city became a part of Mecklenburg. The arms are based on the oldest seal of the city, which dates from 1307, see image below. It already shows the same composition as the present arms. Although the size and shapes of the different elements have changed regularly during the centuries, the basic composition remained the same. The eagle of Brandenburg was retained during the centuries, even though the city has been part of Mecklenburg for over 700 years.
Seal of Woldegk from an image from 1559
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Bensing et al., 1984; Hupp, 1920s; Schütt, 2002.