|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on January 8, 1954.
The lion in the upper part is taken from the arms of the Welfen family, which was the ruling family in the area since the middle of the 13th century. Also, the lion was used by the Dukes of Braunschweig, who ruled the area from 1432-1807.
The lower part symbolises the agricultural character of the district.
Postal cancellation 2007
Literature : Stadler, K., 1964-1971.