|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were officially granted in 1911 and again in 1953.
Xanten was an important Roman castellum and received city rights in 1228 by the Archbishop of Köln.
The city has used many different seals, the oldest with St. Peter, the patron saint of Köln, but most with his symbols, the two crossed keys. The two keys appear first in the great seal in 1320. The bordure, which appears in the 16th century has an unknown origin.
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms on a 1970s matchox label
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Kafee Hag albums, 1930s.