|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were designed and adopted in 1900.
The oldest seal of the village is known from 1492, but the seal is highly damaged and the composition is no longer known. A second seal from 1510 shows a grape vine with a bunch of grapes, as well as a star and a special grape-knife. A third seal from 1592 shows the same composition, but the vine is standing on a small hill.
The above arms appear on the next seal, dating from 1676, but the oldest existing copy dates frm 1752. It shows a pine tree with two rose branches and the numbers 16 and 76 on each side of the pine tree. The pine and roses were also used as the village symbol on the new borderstones that were made in 1788, as well as in the early 19th century seals.
As no colours were known, it was decided to use as natural colours as possible.
The village used the arms until its incorporation into Offenburg in 1973.
Literature : Huber, 1987