|Heraldry of the World |
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
The arms were granted on April 2, 1981.
The arms show the arms of the Carenna family. Zwijndrecht and Burcht were combined to a single estate in 1281 and became a possession of the Carenna family in the 17th century. Jacomo Antonio Carenna divided the estate in 1667 between his two sons, and the two village became separated until 1976.
The previous were granted on January 31, 1818, and confirmed on April 19, 1907.
The old arms show the local patron saint, St. Machutus.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source) |}
Literature : Servais, 1955; Anonymous : Van evers en heiligen - wapens en vlaggen van de gemeenten in de provincie Antwerpen. Antwerpen, 1998.