|Heraldry of the World |
|Slovenia heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of Slovenia
Additions : 19?? Teharje
Celje was already a city in Roman times, but ruined in the 5th century. In the 12th century the Counts von Neunburg became into possession of the town and they owned it until 1322. They were succeeded by the Lords of Sannegg, who, in 1341, received the title Graf von Cilli (Count of Celje).
The arms of the Counts von Neunburg were three golden eight-pointed stars on a blue shield. These arms were also taken by their successors and the later Counts of Celje. In the 15th century the city adopted the arms as city arms. When the stars changed from eight-pointed to six-pointed is not known.
Seal of Count Wihelm von Neunburg from 1226
seal of Celje from 1465
On the seal below the arms are shown with St. Lawrence as supporter. Other seals show the saint as well as three lions around the shield.
The count of Cilli in 1475
The count of Cilli in 1530
The arms by Zacharias Bartsch (1567)
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
(Spanish National Library)
The arms by Ströhl (1904)
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1932
|Follow us on||
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
|Rate these arms / rate this page :
(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)
Literature : Kobel und Pirchegger, 1954; Ströhl, 1904; Bartsch (1567)