|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Berlin
Incorporated into : 1920 Berlin
The arms were granted on January 7, 1957 for the district of Berlin.
The arms are taken from the arms of the former city of Charlottenburg. Charlottenburg was founded as a castle by Princess Sofie Charlotte of Brandenburg in the 17th century. The castle and village were named after her after her death. In 1705 Charlottenburg became a city and the arms were granted.The arms show a gate as a canting symbol (Burg) with two small shields, the eagle of Brandenburg and the horse of Hannover. Princess Sofie was born as Princess of Hannover.
In the late 19th century Hupp showed the arms with the eagle facing left instead of right, which would be more appropriate as in heraldry it is common practice that animals in arms of spouses face each other.
As with all arms of the Berlin districts, a mural crown with a small shield with the arms of Berlin could be used.
Seals from around 1900
The arms in the Continentale Verlags-Anstalt album, +/- 1910
seal around 1920.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms on a 1960s matchox label
The arms on a cover
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971; Vogel, 1987.