Dunbar

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 10,406
  • Total images in the British section : 4,217

DUNBAR

Incorporated into : 1975 East Lothian (District Council)

Burgh

Arms (crest) of Dunbar

Official blazon

Gules, on a rock Proper a castle triple-towered Argent, masoned Sable, windows and portcullis closed of the field. Above the Shield is placed a mural coronet as befitting a Royal Burgh

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on November 20, 1942.

The arms come straight from the oldest known Burgh seal, of which an impression dated 1357 is on record.

The red and silver colours are those of the ancient Earldom of Dunbar and the castle is the Castle of Dunbar. The Castle was destroyed by Act of Parliament in 1567.

Arms (crest) of Dunbar

The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905

Community Council

Arms (crest) of Dunbar

Official blazon

Gules, on a rock Proper a castle triple-towered Argent,-masoned Sable, windows and portcullis closed of the Field. Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet: a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or.

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on December 14, 1988.

The present community arms are based on the former burgh arms.


Heraldry of the World is a private site and maintained as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please support the site:
Follow us on
Facebook.jpg Instagram.png
Contact us:
Mail.png
Donate.jpg
Ebay.png
eBay shop
Payhip.jpg
Download shop
All donations and sales are used for maintaining the site
and acquisition of new heraldic material

Literature : Urquhart, 1974, 2001