|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on June 22, 1959.
The arms are based on a seal dating from 1613, after the area was reclaimed from the sea. The ships represent the three areas (Harden) in the new territory; Eiderstedt, Everschop and Utholm. The lion is the symbol of Utholm, the fish for Everschop and the ox-head for Eiderstedt. On the original seal the ships were placed 1:2 instead of 2:1 and the symbols were placed on the hulk of the ship, not the sails.
The arms of Nordfriesland are nearly identical.
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.