Emden

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Wappen der Welt
Germany.jpg
German heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of Germany
Deutsche Wappen
Germany-flag.jpg


  • Total pages in the German section : 21,092
  • Total images in the German section : 36,399

EMDEN

State : Niedersachsen
Urban District (Kreisfreie Stadt) : Emden
Additions : 1928 Borssum, Wolthusen; 1945 Harsweg, Larrelt; 1946 Uphusen-Mareinwehr; 1972 Logumer Vorwerk, Petkum, Twixlum, Widdelswehr, Wybelsum

Wappen von Emden / Arms of Emden
Official blazon
German
English No blazon/translation known. Please click here to send your (heraldic !) blazon or translation

Origin/meaning

Emden became a city probably at the end of the 14th century. The oldest seal, known from 1427, shows a half-eagle and a letter E, above waves. The eagle is derived from the Tom Brook family, who ruled the city since 1413. It has been speculated that the letter E above the waves was already used as city arms before 1427. On a decorated stone in the main church in Emden there are two small shields vilisble, one with a lion for the Abdena family (who ruled the city before 1417 and after 1427) and one with a letter E and two waves.

Wappen von Emden

The seal of Emden from 1427

In 1430 the eagle was replaced by the lion of the Abdena family, who had again acquired the city. The arms now showed in the upper part a lion and in the lower part two waves. Behind and above the shield there are the two patron saints of the city, St. Cosmas and St. Damian.

Wappen von Emden

The seal of Emden from 1438

The Abdena family ruled the city until 1433. From 1433-39 it was a possession of Hamburg, then shortly of Ulrich Cirksena and again until 1453 of Hamburg. In 1453 the family became again a possession of the Cirksena family. On April 5, 1495 the ownership was finally settled by King Maximilian. A few months later, on August 10, 1495, the king also granted the city new arms. In between the city had simply used the two saints on its seals, dut to the changing ownership.

Wappen von Emden

The seal of Emden from 1442
Wappen von Emden

The original image from 1495
Wappen von Emden

The seal of Emden from 1504

The harpy is derived from the arms of the Cirksena family, the wall and the waves symbolise the city's position on the Ems. In the arms of the Cirskena family there are two stars under the wings (See Aurich. Although never officially part of the city arms, they can be seen regularly as part of the arms during the centuries.

The arms appeared since 1504 on the seals of the city and have not changed since. However, there has been much discussion and many variations on whether the arms should have a crown, and which one. On the original document from 1495 there is a crown above the shield. But it is not mentioned in the description, most likely it was added as decoration. But during the centuries the city started to use all different types of crowns, as can be seen from the images below.

Wappen von Emden

The seal of Emden from 1568
Wappen von Emden

The seal of Emden from 1631
Arms of Emden

The arms on a coin from around 1700
Wappen von Emden

The seal of Emden from the 17th century
Wappen von Emden

The seal of Emden from the 19th century
Wappen von Emden

The seal of Emden from 1899
Arms of Emden

The arms in a 16th century manuscript
Arms of Emden

The arms in the Wapen- en Vlaggenboek van Gerrit Hesman (1708)
Wappen von Emden

The arms of Emden as shown in the city
Siegel von Emden

The municipal stamp shown in 1892
Wappen von Emden

The arms of Emden as shown in 1899 with crown
Seal of Emden

Seal from around 1900
Seal of Emden

Seal from around 1900
Wappen von Emden

The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Wappen von Emden

Municipal stationery, 1960s
Wappen von Emden

The arms in the town
Wappen von Emden

The arms in the town

The arms are locally known as Engelke up de Mür, which means the Angel on the wall.

The harpy is also part of some arms in East-Frisian municipalities, as well as the Dutch city of Delfzijl (opposite to Emden).


Heraldry of the World is a private site and maintained as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please support the site:

All donations and sales are used for new acquisitions and maintaining the site

Follow us on



Literature : Stadler, , 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Images from Sello, 1902