|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Borough of London
Arms: Or on a Fesse wavy Vert a Bar wavy Argent charged with a Barrulet wavy Azure over all an Enfield rampant Gules.
Crest: On a Wreath Or and Azure a Stag's Head proper wreathed about the neck with a Garland of Roses Gules barbed seeded slipped and leaved proper.
Supporters: On the dexter side a Lion Gules gorged with a Collar engrailed with Chain reflexed over the back and charged with a Saltire couped Or and on the sinister side an Enfield Gules.
Motto: 'BY INDUSTRY EVER STRONGER'
The arms were granted on August 15, 1966.
The green, silver and blue wavy horizontal bars represent the Borough's connection with the New River, the Green Belt areas and open spaces. The principal charge, as in the arms of the former Borough of Enfield , is a mythological heraldic creature, known as an "Enfield", which has the head of a fox, the chest of a hound, the talons of an eagle, the body of a lion and the hindquarters and tail of a wolf.
The stag's head and wreath of red roses are derived from the supporters of the Borough of Southgate, where the stags referred to the former forests and the red roses recalled the association with the Duchy of Lancaster.
The chained lion charged with a saltire is derived from the supporters of the Borough of Edmonton , where they typified courage and determination. The Enfield is derived from the Arms.
The arms from 1946
The arms from 1955
Arms: Or an Enfield rampant Gules on a Chief Vert a Bar wavy Argent thereon a like Bar Azure.
Crest: On a Wreath Or and Gules a Stag trippant Or holding in the mouth a Rose Gules seeded barbed leaved and stalked proper.
Supporters: On the dexter side an Enfield and on the sinister side a Stag Or.
Motto: 'PRIORA COLE MELIORA SEQUERE' - Cherish the past but strive after even better things in the future.
These arms were granted on September 20, 1946. The supporters were granted on October 26, 1955
The arms show the enfield as the main charge.
The green chief with silver and blue wavy bars represent the Borough's connection with the New River, the Green Belt areas and open spaces.
The stag refers to Enfield Chase, a former Royal hunting ground and the red rose to the district's association with the Duchy of Lancaster.
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Support the site:
Click on the image to support the site !
|Support the site:|
Download shop with old heraldic books
Literature : Images from the Enfield council and David Hale. Information from Scott-Giles, 1953 and the council.