|Heraldry of the World |
Heraldiek van de wereld
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
The arms were granted on April 29, 1845.
The arms are derived from the arms of the Lords of Oostkerke, but the relation between this family and the city of Hoeke is not clear. The oldest seal of the city, known since 1330, shows the local patron saint, St. James. The second known seal of the city dates from the 16th century and shows a shield with the three crescents. The same arms appear on the map of the Vrije van Brugge (an area around the city of Brugge), also from the 16th century.
Even though Hoeke nowadays is a small village, it received city rights in the early 13th century and was a thriving city for some centuries. In 1594 it was merged with Damme (see there) and only in 1813 became again an independent municipality.
The arms on the map of Pieter Pourbus (1571, Groeningemuseum, Brugge)
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Servais, 1955