|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Per fess Azure and Purpure: on a fess wavy Argent, four lymphads Gules, under full sail Vert, pennons of the Fourth, between three boars' heads couped Or, armed Proper and langued Gules in chief, and in base two roses Or, along with a base dancetty of harry undy Argent and Vert.
The Shield being ensigned of a coronet befitting a Police Burgh (videlicet: Azure masoned Argent).
The arms were granted on August 26, 1964.
Invergordon developed around its Castle, which originally dates from the thirteenth century, and was purchased by Sir William Gordon of Embo in the 1700's. He planned a town and changed the name of the place from Inverbreakie to lnvergordon.
The arms show three golden boars' heads on their blue field to recall Sir William Gordon. The wavy lines are for the river and the sea and the red ships refer to the Burgh's long connection with the Royal Navy.
The golden roses and the dancetty in base come from the arms of Sir Max Rayne, Chairman of Invergordon Distillers Limited at the time, who met the cost of the grant of arms and asked for some feature of his own arms to be included in those granted to the Burgh.
The use of the colour purple is appropriate for a Highland town where in late summer and autumn, one is never far away from a heather-clad moor.
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
Per fess Azure and Purpure, on a fess wavy Argent four lymphads Gules under full sail Vert, pennons of the Fourth, between three boars' heads couped Or, armed Proper and langued Gules in chief, and in base two roses Or, along with a base dancetty of harry undy Argent and Vert.
Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or.
The arms were granted on April 3, 1992.
The arms are those of the former Burgh, with a different crown.
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Support the site:
Click on the image to support the site !
|Support the site:|
Download shop with old heraldic books
Literature : Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974, 2001