|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were officially granted on May 31, 1983.
The arms combine the historical arms of the County of Kleve and the Duchy of Geldern. The latter was added after the merger with the Geldern district.
The previous arms (see below) were granted on ??-??showed only the arms of the Counts of Kleve. The arms were the arms of the first counts of Kleve, who became extinct in 1368.
The arms were subsequently used as arms of the county and by all later counts. The arms were first only an white escutcheon, but since 1254 the present arms are known. These arms are used in many other civc arms, both in Germany as in the Netherlands, as the counts of Kleve had many possessions in both countries. The arms can f.e. be seen in the arms of Voerde, Hunxe and Schermbeck in Germany, and Mook en Middelaar, Zevenaar and Oostflakkee in Holland.
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Heraldry of the World is a private site and maintained as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please support the site:
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.