Lochgilphead

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 9,020
  • Total images in the British section : 4,215

LOCHGILPHEAD

Incorporated into : 1975 Argyll and Bute District (1996 Argyll and Bute Area Council)

Arms (crest) of Lochgilphead

Official blazon

Sable, an anchor paleways Or, surmounted of a herring fess­ ways Argent, and having a rope reflexed around it Vert and of the Third.

Below the Shield, which is surmounted of a coronet appro­priate to a Burgh, is placed in an Escrol this Motto "Dochas".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on January 21, 1949.

Lochgilphead developed as a fishing village and became a Police Burgh in 1858.

The arms follow closely the device on the Burgh seal. The field has been made black and the anchor gold as these are the livery colours of the Duke of Argyll, the principal landowner in the area. The green and silver of the rope refer to the sea and to Loch Gilp on which the town stands. The whole symbolises the Burgh's close connection with the fishing industry.

The Gaelic motto means "Hope" and comes from the seal.

Lochgilpheadseal.jpg

Seal of Lochgilpheadas used in the 1890s

Follow us on
Facebook.jpg Instagram.png
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
Mail.png
Contact us
Support the site:
Donate.jpg

Click on the image to support the site !
Support the site:
Payhip.jpg

Download shop with old heraldic books

Literature : Urquhart, 1974