|Heraldry of the World
Civic heraldry of Congo
Province : Haut-Katanga
The arms above are used since October, 1966, after the initial name of the city (Elisabethville) was replaced by that of Lubumbashi. It is identical to that granted by the Belgian colonial administration in 1954, only the crowned " E " having been replaced by the Lubumbashi " L ".
During the colonial period, the village - then named Elisabethville - obtained the city status on June 25, 1941. Its arms were granted on December 20, 1954.
The crosslets of Katanga evokes the copper mining wealth of Katanga, in which the city is situated.
In the same order of ideas, the chevron gueles could symbolize a casting of ores, unless it evokes the extraction of ores, as the motto which means " depths towards summits " could suggest it.
The crowned " E "constitutes course a mark of honoring to Queen Elisabeth.
|Follow us on||
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
|Rate these arms / rate this page :
(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)
Literature : Pierloz Patrick : « L'héraldique civique du Congo belge (1908 - 1960) » (" Civic Heraldry of Belgian Congo (on 1908 - 1960 ) , in " Kisugulu ", N 75, in March, 2001.