|Heraldry of the World |
|Slovenia heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of Slovenia
The above arms were adopted on November 30, 1995.
The design of the arms dates from medieval times. Already on the 14th century seal of the city (see image below) the arms show a castle and a downward-ponted flying dove. The basic idea has not changed since, but during the centuries many different varaitions on the composition have been seen.
The dove is a symbol of the Holy Spirit and was added in the seal around 1300 as a reference to the Cathedral devoted to St. John Baptist, erected in 1248. The Holy Spiit appeared when Jezus was baptised by St. John Baptist.
Seal of Maribor from the 14th century
The arms by Zacharias Bartsch (1567)
The arms by Widimsky (1864)
The arms by Ströhl (1904)
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1932
The arms by Kobel (1954)
The arms as used in the 1980s
[Literature]] : Kobel und Pirchegger, 1954; Ströhl, 1904; Widimsky, 1864; new image from http://zeljko-heimer-fame.from.hr; Bartsch, 1567.