National arms of Jamaica
|Heraldry of the World|
|Jamaica heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of Jamaica
THE NATIONAL ARMS OF JAMAICA
- (1661) : Argent, a cross gules, thereon five pineapples or. Crest, a crocodile on a log, proper. Supporters, dexter, a West Indian native woman proper, crined or, girt about the waist with feathers alternately gules and argent, holding a basket of fruit, the head wreathed with a band azure rising therefrom a feather gold; sinister, a West Indian native man proper, girt about the waist with the feathers, holding in his hand a bow or, the head wreathed with a band azure, rising therefrom a circlet of feathers alternately gules and argent.
The above arms were adopted on August 6, 1962.
Jamaica was the first British colony to receive its own arms on February 3, 1661. The arms show the English red cross with 5 pineapples, symbol for the local economy. As a crest a crocodile is used and two Arawak Indians were added as supporters, holding a pineapple and a bow. The motto 'Indus uterque serviet uni' means 'Both Indies will serve one'. Even though several details have been changed, the basic design has not been changed.
On April 8, 1957 new arms were granted, due to the doubtful blazon of the original arms. A Royal helm and mantling were added and the design of the different elements changed slightly.
Just before the independence, on July 13, 1962 the motto was replaced by the new motto 'Out of many, one people'. The colour of the scroll was also adjusted.
After the independence in 1962, a few more small colour changes were made.
The arms from 1661
The arms from 1957
The arms from 1962
3D version of the arms
The arms on a coin from 1934
The arms on a coin from 1988
The arms on collector's items
The arms on a UK tobacco card by Edwards, Ringers and Biggs
The arms on a UK tobacco card by Wills's
The arms on a US tobacco card by Helmars
The arms on a Spanish cigar band
The arms in a German album
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Alexander, 1899