From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Heraldry of the World
Wappen der Welt
German heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of Germany
Deutsche Wappen

  • Total pages in the German section : 22
  • Total images in the German section : 32,131


State : Berlin
Incorporated into : 1920 Berlin

Wappen von Neukölln

Official blazon


Neukölln was founded in 1360 when the Order of St. John, who owned the area, expanded their estate Richardsdorf to a real village. In 1435 the village was bought by the combined cities of Berlin and Cölln. The name of the village at the time was reduced to Rixdorf. In 1737 Bohemian colonists were allowed to settle near the village, which resulted in two villages : Böhmisch- and Deutsch-Rixdorf, which were combined in 1873. In 1899 Rixdorf was granted city rights and already in the same year attempts were made to design city arms. Out of 25 proposals the above composition was chosen, the colours, however, had to be changed according to the heraldic rules.

The above arms were officially granted on May 29, 1903. The arms show the cross of the Order of St. John and the eagle of Brandenburg. In the lower part stand the goblet of the Hussites, the church to which the Bohemian colonists belonged.

The name of Rixdorf was changed in 1912 to Neukölln and the city was incorporated into Berlin in 1920. The arms were restored on April 4, 1956 by the Berlin city council.

As with all arms of the Berlin districts, a mural crown with a small shield with the arms of Berlin could be used.


Seal of the city from around 1900

Seal of the city from around 1915

Seal of the city from around 1915
Wappen von Neukölln

The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925

Follow us on
Facebook.jpg Instagram.png
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
Contact us
Support the site:

Click on the image to see how to support the site !

Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.