Oldbury

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 9,230
  • Total images in the British section : 4,215

OLDBURY

Incorporated into : 1966 Warley (1974 Sandwell)

Arms (crest) of Oldbury

Official blazon

Arms : Per saltire Vert and Argent two Lions rampant in pale Or and as many Crosses Flory in fess Sable.
Crest : Issuant from a saxon Crown Or a Dragon's Head between two Wings Gules.
Motto: 'ANTIQUUM DECUS FLOREAT' - Let its ancient glory florish.

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on April 15, 1926.

The gold lions on green are taken from the arms of the Robsarts, the distinguished ancient family prominent in the medieval history of Oldbury. The fact that Oldbury "Ealdanbyrig" was so called by the Saxons indicated that they found an ancient British settlement here.

The red dragon is that of the British, and the crosses and crown refers to the Saxons.


Follow us on
Facebook.jpg Instagram.png
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
Mail.png
Contact us
Heraldry of the World is a private site,
all paid for by 1 person and
maintained by 3 persons as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please, support the site:

Donate.jpg




Ebay.png
eBay shop
Payhip.jpg
Download shop

Literature : Image and information from http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk.