|Heraldry of the World |
|Slovenia heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of Slovenia
The arms were adopted in the 1990s, but are of much older design. The cross is the symbol of St. George, the patron saint of Ptuj. The saint appeared already in the 1273 on the local seal, and until 1657 all seals showed the saint. Later seals only show the cross, as his symbol.
Seal of Ptuj from the 14th century
Since 1567 rolls of arms have shown the cross as the main symbol, but there have been several exceptions, as shown below. Widimsky showed again the saint as the arms of the city. Lind showed a green shield with a red cross and golden star. This image has also been used by Ströhl and in the Kava Hag albums. Kobel showed again the cross.
The arms by Zacharias Bartsch (1567)
The arms by Ströhl (1904)
Seal from around 1900
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms on a Cinderella stamp
In the 1970s and 80s Ptuj used a typical Socialist symbol as its arms, see below.
|Follow us on||
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
|Rate these arms / rate this page :
(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)