|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
|Austrian heraldry portal|
State : Tirol
District : Schwaz
- (de) Unter von Rot und Silber zweimal geteiltem Schildhaupt in Silber ein schwarzer Schlägel und Eisen.
The arms were granted on April 28, 1899.
Schwaz received town rights already in 1326, but it never had its own arms until the 17th century. In the 16th and 17th century in different sources and in the seals of the miner's guild, two crossed miner's tools were used. The type of tools differed between different sources however. They were not used in official town documents. The tools clearly symbolised the importance of mining in the area. Only in 1899, when Schwaz received city rights, the tools became the official symbol of the city, with as a chief the arms of Austria.
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
The arms by Ströhl, 1902
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (+/- 1910)
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1932
The arms on a First Day Cover, 1999
Heraldry of the World is a private site and maintained as a hobby, which takes a lot of time and effort (and costs).
If you like this initiative, please support the site:
Please visit our partners (click on image):
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature : Köfler and Beimrohr, 1995; Gappa, 2005; Image provided by Karl Palfrader (firstname.lastname@example.org)