|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
- (de) In geteiltem Schild oben in Schwarz ein linksgewendeter, wachsender, rot bewehrter und rot bezungter goldener Löwe, unten in Blau ein silberner Ring.
Schwetzingen was an unimportant village belonging to the Pfalz since the 14th century. In the 18th century the local castle was rebuilt and the village grew rapidly. In 1753 it became a town and in 1833 a city.
The oldest known seal dates from the late 15th century and already shows the present arms. The arms show the lion of the Pfalz and a ring, probably taken from the arms of Lord Hans von Schwetzingen. His seal dating from 1402 shows a wheel with 8 spokes. Why the spokes were removed is not known.
The seal from the 15th century
The seal from 1742-1873
The seal from 1842-1894
The seal from 1895-1898
The seal from 1899
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (+/- 1910)
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms on a stamp, 1953
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.