Welkenraedt

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Heraldiek van de wereld
Armorial du Monde
Belgium.jpg
Belgian heraldry portal
Belgische wapens
Armorial de Belgique
Belgium-flag.jpg


WELKENRAEDT

Province : Liège

Armoiries de Welkenraedt

Official blazon

  • (1954) D'argent à un lion de gueules, la queue fourchée et passée en sautoir, armé et couronné d'or, lampassé d'azut, au SaintJean-Baptiste auréolé issant de derrière l'écu, vêtu d'une peau de mouton, tenant dans son bras dextre replié un agneau et de la senestre une croix à laquelle est attachée une bannière, le tout d'or.
  • (1981) D'argent à un lion de gueules, la queue fourchée et passée en sautoir, armé et couronné d'or, lampassé d'azur; l'écu somiré d'un Saint-Georges à cheval, terrassant le dragon, contourné, le tout d'or.

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on April 10, 1954 and with a different supporter on November 26, 1981.

The arms show the lion of the Dukes of Limburg. Since the 13th century the area was part of Limburg and in meieval times ruled directly by the Counts, later Dukes of Limburg.

In 1954 the arms were supported by the local patron saint, St. John Baptist. After the merger with Henri-Chapelle, the patron saint of Henri-Chapelle, St, Georges, was added on top of the shield.

Welkenraedt.jpg

The arms from 1954
Wapen van/Blason de Welkenraedt

The arms on a police badge (source)



Follow us on
Facebook.jpg

Mail.png
Contact us
Support the site:
Donate.jpg

Click on the image to see how to support the site !

Literature : Servais, 1955