Zandhoven

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
Belgium.jpg
Belgian heraldry portal
Belgische wapens
Armorial de Belgique
Belgium-flag.jpg

ZANDHOVEN

Province : Antwerpen
Additions : 1977 Massenhoven, Pulderbos, Pulle, Viersel

Zandhove.jpg


Official blazon

  • (1819) Van lazuur beladen met een klimmenden leeuw van goud op het schild vastgehouden door eene vrouw staande op een dolphijn alles in zijne natuurlijke kleuren.
  • (1842) eenen zilveren schild met het beeld van de heylige Amelberga, naer het leven, houdende by de regte hand het schildeken van Braband, hetwelk is zwart met eenen gulden leeuw met roode klauwen en tong.
  • (1986) Gevierendeeld 1. in lazuur drie staande lelies van zilver 2. in keel een schildhoofd van zilver, beladen met drie mereltjes van het veld, naast elkaar geplaatst 3. in zilver vijf aaneengesloten spitsruiten van keel, dwarsbalksgewijze geplaatst, de tweede overtopt met een mereltje van sabel 4. in zilver een geledigd leliekruis van sabel en een blokzoom van zestien stukken van keel en van zilver, die van keel beladen met een toren van goud, geopend van lazuur, die van zilver met een ketel van sabel. Het schild geplaatst voor een Sint-Amalberga van natuurlijke kleur, staande op een steur van sinopel.

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on October 6, 1819 with a supporter, on August 29, 1842 the arms were granted with the supporter now on the shield and new arms were granted on November 4, 1986.

The old arms show St. Amelberge, the local patron saint, standing on a fish (her symbol) and holding a small shield with the arms of the Duchy of Brabant. The arms are based on the only known seal of the village, dating from the 18th century.

Arms of Zandhoven

The arms from 1819
Zandhov2.jpg

The arms from 1842

In the new arms the composition of saint and fish is placed behind the shield, and the shield itself is made up of the arms or part of the arms of the rulers of the four other villages.

The first quarter represents Pulderbos and show the arms of the Van den Steene family, Lords of Pulderbos in the 18th century.

The second quarter represents Pulle, but this quarter is not taken from the old arms of Pulle, but shows the arms of the Ursel family. These were the last Lords of Pulle.
The third quarter represents Massenhoven and shows the arms of the Cannart d'Hamale family, Lord of Massenhoven in the 18th century.
The fourth quarter represents Viersel and shows the complex arms of the De Villegas family. The family acquired the village in 1672 and remaiend Lords of Viersel until 1799.

Wapen van/Blason de Zandhoven

The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Wapen van/Blason de Zandhoven

The arms on a police badge (source)
Arms of Zandhoven

The arms in the town (source)
Arms of Zandhoven

The arms in the town (source)



Follow us on Facebook.jpg

(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)

Donate.jpg

Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Rate these arms / rate this page :
0.00
(0 votes)

(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)


Literature : Servais, 1955; Anonymous : Van evers en heiligen - wapens en vlaggen van de gemeenten in de provincie Antwerpen. Antwerpen, 1998.