Canton : Zug
The oldest arms of Baar, known from a seal from 1738, shows the letter B on the arms of the Canton Zug. As such is can be seen in the main room in the Cantonal offices and in the Kaffee Hag albums (see below).
In the early 1920s the local mayor tried to change the arms, but in 1925 the local council decided to continue the old arms.
In 1942 the council decides to change the arms and several proposals were made. On August 9, 2942 the council then decides on the current arms. These combine a tower, taken from the arms of the medieval Lords of Baar, with a cross, which symbolises the cross on the local St. Michael's church.
Below the arms as shown in the Kaffee Hag albums. The oldest version dates from before 1920 and shows a crosier (for the formerly important local monastery) with the bar of the Canton Zug. These arms were, however, never used by the municipality. In the later albums the historical arms with the B are used and in the latest albums (after 1942) the current arms appear.
Variations of the arms in the Kaffee Hag albums 1914-1960
Swiss heraldry portal
This page is part of the Swiss heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Swiss civic heraldry:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site Iten and Zumbach, 1974.