The first arms were granted in March 1936, the latter on June 15, 1992 and June 1st, 1995.
The bear on a wall is a canting symbol and is identical to the arms of the Princes of Anhalt from the Bernburg branch. The dynasty was split in several branches in 1251. The arms were the main part of the arms of the Princes, the Principality and later the State of Anhalt. The present arms thus go back to the old arms of Anhalt.
The former arms show the arms of the four territories that owned part of the present county, as well as the arms of Anhalt in an escutcheon. The first quarter shows the arms of the county Askanien, the second the ounty Warmsdorf, the third the county Mühlingen and the fourth quarter, Mary and Jezus sybolise the abbey of Nienburg.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Papendieck, H. : Die Wappen der Landkreise und kreisfreien Städte des Landes Sachsen-Anhalt. Landesarchiv Magdeburg, 1996.